4 November 2021
Wishing you seasons greetings with this delicious recipe for Vegan Fudgy Brownies & Spiced Whisky Butter
Enjoy this wonderful seasonal brownie recipe, courtesy of vegan/plant-based chefs at Saucery Somerset.
Vegan Fudgy Brownies with Spiced Whisky Butter
4 tablespoons ground chia and flax seed
110g vegan butter, melted
200g light brown sugar
150g caster sugar
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
150g plain flour (if gluten free, substitute with 125g almond flour, 75g gluten free self-raising flour)
90g raw cacao powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder (if gluten free, reduce baking powder to ¾ teaspoon)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (or replace with a few drops of orange essential oil)
40g broken pecan nuts
100g chocolate chips
For Spiced Whisky Butter
50g softened vegan butter
50g icing sugar
1 teaspoon whisky
Pinch of fresh nutmeg
Pinch of cinnamon
- Make your ‘chia eggs’ by combining the chia and flax mixture with the water in a small dish, and set aside.
- While the ‘eggs’ thicken, preheat your oven to 175 degrees C, and line an 8”x8” square dish with parchment/baking paper.
- Melt the butter, and mix that thoroughly with the ‘eggs’, both sugars, and vanilla.
- Add all of the other ingredients and mix thoroughly but gently. Be careful not to overwork.
- Transfer the mixture into your lined dish. It will be very thick, that’s fine! Using a spatula, gently work it into the corners and smooth the surface. Sprinkle over the additional chocolate chips, and poke the additional pecans into the surface of your batter.
- Bake for 35 minutes in the centre of your pre-heated oven. Your brownie will look soft in the middle when the time is up but don’t worry – that is the secret to a super-fudgy brownie!
- Leave to cool for about six hours, or ideally overnight, in the baking tin – resist temptation, it is even better the next day!
- For the Spiced Whisky Butter, mix the softened butter with the icing sugar, spices and whisky to make a smooth sauce. Once your brownie is cool, pipe in zig-zags over the top of your brownie. Slice and serve as it is, or warm in the oven for ten minutes and serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.